Tuesday, February 26, 2008

fathers and sons.



my dad passed on to me an article this morning about frank schaeffer's recent book, crazy for God. frank schaeffer is the son of francis schaeffer; the theologian, philosopher, and (perhaps most notably) founder of the international network of l'abri communities. i have no personal connection with the l'abri communities, but many of my friends and family members have been forever changed by the positive impact l'abri has had on their lives. the book is frank's memoir, in which he epically mocks the life and work of his parents, effectively impaling their integrity. the article was a response to the book, written by a very close, very old friend of the schaeffers: mr. os guinness. the article is, simply put, a defense of the schaeffer's integrity by someone who for years was intimately involved with their life and work. i was quite saddened after having read the article, even though guinness ends his response with great hope of a journey home.

others will no doubt be discouraged after this reading, not least of whom will be my superhuman godmother gini andrews, who also lived and worked with the schaeffers in switzerland for many years. i know she loved and respected them deeply. also my mother and uncle, whose lives were dramatically altered after experiences at l'abri. i feel in this way my brothers and i (and all our amazing cousins) are somehow marked by the work of the schaeffers, which has played a pivotal role in the history, redemption, and reconciliation of my family.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

hi benjamin- i was interested to read your thoughts on this review of "Crazy for God" as i just printed it out this morning and brought it home for andrew to read. we're so excited at the possibility of your visit in april. andrew's going to follow up with a phone call soon. and many congratulations on the new dicristina in the works! henry can't wait to have cousins!

Anonymous said...

Benjamin, as someone aware of the great Lier clan (and Garber clan) love for L'Abri, I have always had a lot of respect of the project of the Schaefer's. I have visited Swiss and MA L'Abri communities (briefly), and my uncle's life was pretty much saved by Donald Drew, who was at Swiss L'Abri at the time. So anyway, I love L'Abri.

That being said, I am also aware that many public figures and leaders have painful personal lives. Furthermore, pretty much every father-son diad I've ever encountered seems to be frought with pain on some level. I'm not defending Frank in any way (in fact, I've never read a word he's written) but I lament the the private pain that often accompanies public fame. As some of my own friends gain notoriety, they are struggling through the implications that being famous has on their personal lives. I pray that the gulf would not be so wide, and that the public would not put so much pressure on gifted leaders.

-Caren
PS: Thanks for the comment on bottomland!

benjamin said...

sarah - i'm excited about the possibility of a visit too! i do love spending time with the carlson-lier clan.
caren - thanks for your comment (and you're welcome for yours! i've enjoyed bottomland so far). i think this is particularly true for leaders in ministry. indeed, sadly i've had my own struggles with my dad, and likewise him with his father. my brothers and i were definitely 'victims' (not the right word) of the syndrome you've mentioned here. our dad poured over ministry, often at the expense of spending quality time with his sons. we've since talked and cried and reconciled, and the good news (at least for my family) is that the gulf seems to be narrowing with each generation.

(and, dad, if you're reading this, i love you so much)

also, caren, i've had several inspiring conversations with mr. drew. i truly respect him as a mentor and a scholar, and i'm delighted that he had such a profound effect on your uncle.

b.

Eden said...

Hey Ben,

Of course I have to comment on this! I'm sort-of echoing what Caren said. We all know what a positive impact L'Abri's had, but it definitely had a mixed effect on its first generation kids. The raising of children and family life there now, has really been shaped by the hurts and blessings of the past.

When Frank's latest book first came out last fall I guess, it was really hard for "old-timers" to read. Everyone already knows that he was bitter towards his parents in a lot of ways, but it seemed like the book was awfully close to disrespectful. I haven't read it, just people's reactions. I'll have to read Os's piece in my spare time.

It seems like being a parent is so hard!! Props to Sarah and Caren and their good men for courageously trying.